dog valentine

Dog-Friendly Valentine’s Day!

Tips for a Dog Friendly Valentine’s Day

 

Ah, Valentine’s Day! The time to bake things that look good on Pinterest and decorate the house with flowers and chocolates. But if you’re like us, you might be wondering how to keep your dog from chewing on wires or knocking things over. We know, our dogs are derpy too. That’s why we made this handy guide for getting through Valnetine’s Day safely when pooches are around.

 

  • Keep the Sweets Away

As tempting as it may be, never let your dog have any chocolate or lick the spoon while baking. Pet parents should read up on HOW TO Treat Your Dog For Chocolate Toxicity, so if your pooch happens to get into the heart-shaped box of chocolates, you’ll know what to do. Remember, even a small amount of chocolate can do damage. Additionally, the fat and sugar in chocolate and candy can cause serious gastrointestinal abnormalities, such as vomiting, diarrhea and pancreatitis. The severity of chocolate or candy toxicity depends on the size of your dog and the amount of sweets he consumed.

  • Watch for These Common Toxic Foods

You may be in the mood to enjoy a glass of wine or pop the bubbly on Valentine’s Day, but alcohol is toxic to dogs if they happen to drink any. If you’re planning on home-cooking a meal for your special someone and your dog likes to eat scraps, it’s best to avoid cooking with any avocados, garlic, onion, nutmeg, tomatoes or mushrooms. Check out the full guide of Foods Dangerous for Dogs.

  • Remember, Candles Have Aroma Too

A plethora of red candles may add to the romantic atmosphere, but these can be harmful to your pooch. According to i Love Dogs’ Ask a Vet, Dr. Patrick Mahaney, “Besides the pain and suffering burned pets must endure, your entire family may be at risk if a pet knocks a candle over and causes combustion of flammable household materials.”

  • Cords Off the Floor

Stringing up some cute heart-shaped lights around the house? Remember that dogs like to chew things and electrical cords lying around can lead to your dog getting shocked. Try to discourage your dog from chewing the cords by keeping them hidden and off the floor. When you’re not at home, unplug them and put them somewhere safe.